Molasses Spice Cookies
Makes 4-5 Dozen
This beloved spicy sweet cookie has been a part of my family’s holiday celebration for decades. The recipe has been shared with friends around the world and for cookie exchanges, it always seems to be a favorite.
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1-1/2 cups + 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
3/4 teaspoon salt
Shortening for greasing cookie sheets
- Blend the butter with 1-1/2 cups of the sugar, the molasses and egg.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, clove and salt and sift them into the butter mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until the dough is firm, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls, rolling each in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar before placing it on the cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the middle of the oven until the cookies are golden brown and the tops are cracked, about 8 to 10 minutes. They will still be soft.
- Remove the pan and transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight tin.